Decision date was 12th June 2013.
The application was approved by 9 votes to 3.
8 of those councillors voting in favour neither represented a Macclesfield ward nor lived in Macclesfield. The 3 votes against were all from Macclesfield councillors. To find out how the meeting proceeded, read the article: ” Silk Street Redevelopment Scheme Approved – Local Democracy Dies” at the Community OnLine website.
Following the decision, we made a request for the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government to call in the application, which means he would make the final decision. On 30th July 2013 we received a letter saying he had rejected our application.
For more information, read the blog entry ‘Secretary of State rejects call in request’
What is Wake Up Macclesfield?
A campaign started by a growing group of local people concerned that the Wilson Bowden proposals for retail-based town centre redevelopment will cause serious harm to our town.
Wake Up Macclesfield is about:
- Raising awareness of concerns about the Wilson Bowden plans for Macclesfield town centre.
- Creating the conditions for discussion so more people can have a say.
- Encouraging better use of existing buildings and spaces.
- Supporting sustainable businesses and recreational projects that improve facilities and add to the town’s individuality.
- Ensuring Macclesfield stays a town that feels like home and does not become another clone town.
We are gathering together ideas, opinions and information to contribute to the planning process, and to inform decision-making over these proposals before it is too late.
Please look around the website to find out more.
To receive updates on actions you can take as the situation develops, simply join our mailing list using the form in the top right hand corner.